Hello everyone, I’m going to tell you about How to draw fashion figures for beginners, mechanical croquis..
Fashion figures and fashion illustrations go hand in hand. Without one,the other cannot be completed. It is the skeletal from or the primary drawing that gets transformed and eventually adorned with garments and accessories.
Start off with drawing a fashion figure which appears less creative and more mechanical figure which appears less creative and more mechanical as name suggests. Don’t worry your turn to be creative will happen once you draw a fashion figures with ease.
OBJECTIVES FOR FASHION FIGURES:
- Identify the importance of fashion figures in fashion illustration.
- Measure accurately using centimetre scale.
- Draw using appropriate tools.
- Join lines to create the fashion figures.
- Draw a fashion figures on your own.
Material Required For Fashion Figures:
- Sketch book
- Drawing pencil
Fashion illustrations communicate artistic representation as well as a sence of style. It is a stylized drawing of a design that takes shape in the form of a sketch. Fashion figures with additional effects become your first model on whom you showcase your dream garments. Hence, sketching an accurate mechanical figure is an essential aspect of designing fashion wear.
Measurement Scale For Fashion Figures:
- All the measurement to draw a mechanical figure should be in centimetre scale.
- Measurement scale = cms.
- 1cm = 10mm
- Example; 0.5cms means 5milimetres
- Note that when you are asked to mark 1.5cms it means 1centimetre + 5milimetres.
Steps To Draw Mechanical Figure:
As a beginner, when you draw the mechanical figure, it is very important to follow the steps meticulously so that you get the right figure with accurate measurements. Check out the video where the steps are shown and also refer to the steps written below.
An imaginary line that indicates the division of the human body into 2equal halves horizontally.
- Draw a vertical line of 30cms on a drawing sheet (preferably size A3) right in the centre.
- Divide your exist into 10 equal divisions of 3cms each.
- Draw Horizontal lines over the divisions and label them 0 to 10 on the right corner of the sheet.
- Each division is referred to as a head on level. And voila,you have your 10heads figure. Once the 10 divisions are mode follow these steps to make sub-divisions.
- Mark a midpoint 1.5 in the 2nd division (between level 1 to 2) i.e 1.5cm.
- Similarly, mark a midpoint 3.5 in the 4th division (between level 3 to 4)i.e 1.5cm.
- Next, mark a point 6.25 in the 7th division (between level 6 to 7) which is 1cm from level 6.
- Now in the 10th division, mark a point from 9.75 which is 1cm upwards from level 10.
Once you have the 10 heads figure in place, label all the points marked on the drawing sheet as listed below
- The point 0 is a Head level
- The point 1.5 is a Shoulder level
- The point 2 is a Bust level
- The point 3 is a Waist level
- The point 3.5 is a Hip level
- The point 4 is a Crotch level
- The point 6.25 is a Knee level
- The point 9 is a Ankle level
- The point 10 is a Feet level
While it is common to think that the torso is the upper part of the human body, it is not the same case in mechanical figure. The area between the shoulder level and crotch level is the torso. To mark these on your diagram, follow these steps;
- Start drawing Horizontal lines from bust level.
- Draw 1.7cms Horizontal line on both sides of the axis at bust level i.e at level 2
- Draw 1.0cm Horizontal line on both sides of the axis at waist level i.e at level 3
- Draw 1.7cms Horizontal line on both sides of the axis at hip level i.e level 3.5
Once you mark the Torso, the right points need to be joined to form the torso. In this step, you will be able to form/draw the upper part of body.
- Join the endpoints of the bust level to that of the waist level with a slant line on either sides.
- Similarly, join the endpoints of the waist level and hip level with a slant line on both sides.
- In the same manner, join the endpoints of hip level to the crotch level on axis with slant lines.
- And there you have it, Torso shown above.
Moving on to the lower part of body to draw legs.
- Mark a midpoint on slant line joining hip and crotch level.
- The straight line should start on the slant line of the crotch and end the feet.
- Similarly, repeat the same on the right side as well.
- Begin on the left hand side.
- Draw 0.5cm at knee level (i.e level 6.25)on both sides of the leg reference line next to the axis.
- Draw 0.25cm at ankle level (i.e at point 9)on both sides of the leg reference line next to the axis.
- Draw 0.5cm at level 9.75 on both sides of the leg reference line.
- Repeat the same on right hand side.
- Here,join the tip of hip level to the tip of ankle level and tip crotch level to the ankle level for left leg.
- How,join the tip of ankle level to 9.75 level.
- Similarly, join the tip of 9.75 level to the centre of feet level i.e level 10.
- Repeat all three steps for right leg.
- Finally, legs are completely drawn.
Let’s draw the neck.
- Draw a horizontal line of 2cms on both sides of axis at shoulder level i.e level 1.5
- First, mark 0.5cm on either sides of axis at the shoulder level i.e at 1.5 level.
- Mark 0.5cm on either sides of axis at the level 1.
- Join the points marked on level 1 with a straight line to points marked on level 5.
- This forms your neck as shown in the below figure.
J-Face For Fashion Figures:
Let us now draw the on a head by following these instructions;
- Mark the point on axis 0.5cm below from the level 1.
- This point is referred as in level.
- Join the end points of level 1 to level 0 in oval shape which forms a head.
K-Hands For Fashion Figures:
Here are some handy tips on how to draw hands. Follow these steps.
- Mark a midpoint in between the endpoint of shoulder level and endpoint of bust level on left hand side.
- Then join this midpoint to waist level using a vertical line.
- Now,draw a vertical line joining the line from waist level to the point on level 5.
- Repeat the same on right hand side.
L-Marking Hands In Fashion Figures:
Mark the points to form an elbow, wrist and a complete hand.
- Draw a Horizontal line of 0.3cm on both side of left hand at level 3.
- Draw a horizontal line 0.2cm on both sides of hand at level 4.
- Draw a horizontal line of 0.3cm on both sides of hand from 1cm at level 4.
- Draw another line of 0.2cm on both sides of hand from 1cm below the previous line.
- Repeat the same steps for right hand.
Drawing an arm and a wrist.
- Begin drawing on the left hand side.
- Join endpoint of shoulder and point marked 1cm below bust level to the reference hand line at level 3.
- Join the endpoints of line on reference hand line at level 3 to that of level 4.
- Join the endpoints of line on reference hand line at level 4 to that of the line 1cm below from level 4 on the reference hand line.
- Repeat the same on right hand side.
N-Final Figure For Fashion Figures:
O-Drawing Fingers In Fashion Figures:
- Begin drawing on the left hand side
- Join left endpoint of horizontal line 1cm below the 4 to that of level 5
- Join the right endpoint of horizontal line 1cm below the level 4 to that of horizontal line 1cm above the level 5
- Once again join the right endpoint of horizontal line 1cm above the level 5 to the midpoint of horizontal line 1cm below the level 4
- On right hand side
- Join the right endpoint of horizontal line 1cm below level 4 to level 5
- Join the left endpoint of horizontal line 1cm below level 4 to the left endpoint horizontal line 1cm above level 5
- Once again, join the left endpoint of horizontal line 1cm above 5 to the midpoint of horizontal line a cm below level 4
Once you complete marking and joining every part of the mechanical figure a clear drawing emerges.
you will need to focus while practising this as the ability to create an accurate fashion figures always leads to great ease in drawing fashion figures. Erase the axial line, reference or mid lines of hands and legs to obtain a final figure..
If you like the information which have given in the post then inform me through the comment section and do not forget to share it with your friends…….