Hello everyone, Today I’m going to tell you about trend analysis in fashion …
You have to come a long way in the study if fashion styling. Here is where you apply everything you have learned from the entire course so far. Just like the way you predict weather forecast by studying the weather. Studying fashion results in your being able to forecast fashion trends. A prediction of upcoming styles, colours, trends, silhouettes etc. makes fashion forecast.
- A trend refers to the popularity of something at a certain point in time. It reflects to what goes around and is popular in a certain style in fashion or entertainment.
- Fashion Forecasting: This refers to the prediction of trends before they arrive for an upcoming season.
Fashion Forecasting Involves The Following:
- Studying market conditions: Influence of society, economics, technology, and the environment on consumer’s buying behaviour.
- Examining the lifestyle of their customers.
- Analyzing sales statistics to establish sales trends.
- Evaluating the popular designer collection to find fashions (colours,silhouettes, fabrics & textures)
- Surveying fashion publications, catalogs,and design services all over the world.
- Observing street fashion and keeping up with current events, the arts and the mood of the public.
Fashion Forecaster/Trend spotter:
Trend:The direction in which fashion moves is called trend. It can be emerging,building or recycling, and is characterized by building awareness among consumers.
Often referred to as ‘trend spotter’,is someone who specializes in identifying emerging trends.
- A trend spotter has extensive knowledge on how trends emerge and why certain trends get picked up,and others don’t.
- Cities like New York, Paris, London, Milan and Tokyo are often hot spots for trends spotters.
- The trend spotter will determine the sustainability of a particular fashion trend when it is introduced in the market. The person will also have to identify the success rate of the trend and whether or not the trend will remain fashionable for an extended period of time.
Factors That Influence Fashion Trend:
- Personal taste
- Media (magazines, advertisements, television, etc.)
Steps In Developing A Forecast:
- Identify basic facts about past trends and forecasts.
- Determine the causes of change in the past.
- Identify the factors likely to affect trends in the future.
- Follow the forecast to determine reasons for significant deviations from expectation.
- Revise the forecast when necessary.
Fashion Forecasting Companies:
Fashion Forecasting companies give an insight into Forecasting. Books and magazines are also available from season to season with updated fashion Forecasts. There are a number of companies like
- Trend union
- Fashion Snoops
- Trend stop
Mood Board(Mood Board, Look Board):
Mood board is basically a virtual representation of your ideas. Those ideas are converted into virtual medium that you can actually represent.
There are two ways of making mood boards. One is traditional medium; where you will create a mood board by sticking pictures, images, fronts, etc. It can also be done with textures by using fabrics and colours. The other way of representation is through computer mediums like CAD,PHOTOSHOP, and COREL. You can go ahead and make a college by taking images from the internet too.
Mood board is the broadest tool that captures the mood/theme of designers collection. Therefore, while creating a mood board,you need to maintain a virtually aesthetic balance by incorporating all the elements. You can also add a 3D effect to make it more interesting.
Mood boards are also known as a theme or concept board is a single page that tells a designer story.
Fashion designers use several images as inspiration to create their new line collection.
The designers visualized the complete look of the model from head to toe while walking on the ramp. They think of everything from the colours to the textures,silhouettes,to fabrics as the flow of the garment. It is a very big and important choice that can be overwhelming, also equally confusing with so many options. Your board will set the mood for your collection and maintains it too.
How To Make A Mood Board:
Every designer works on a collection and it must have a minimum of 6 garment ensembles and can go up to 20 garments or even more. All the dresses need to belong to a similar theme. The dresses can look different but they need to follow a similar theme.
Steps Involved In Making A Mood Board:
- Select a season: In fashion, there are 2 season ;1- Spring/summer and 2- Autumn/winter
- Select a theme: There are unlimited themes you being the designer can work on. Whatever topic inspires you,can be desired theme. Example: nature, retro fashion, floral, dimensions, disco etc.
- Select photographs related to your theme: Be careful in selecting the best photos with good aesthetic. Since those pictures will be the base,inspiration for the collection will be taken from silhouettes, prints, surface ornamentation and collection will be taken from silhouettes,prints, surface ornamentation and fabric.
- Finally paste all the photos on the board.
- You can paste colour stickers, pantone chips or fabric swatches that inspires you on the mood board if you are not separately making a colour board.
- A mood board can also be digital and can be made using photoshop.
- Once you’ve set the mood board you can start using your inspiration board where you collect the specific photographs and samples of the actual fabrics, colours, trims and textures.
Once the mood board is done,colours, prints & fabrics for the collection are finalised. Next,the look board is created which covers the complete head-to-toe look.
If you like the information which have given in the post then inform me through the comment section and do not forget to share it with your friends…….